Sunday, March 28, 2010

I wish I had another month of winter!

I baked some nice banana bread this afternoon. The challenge for me is to cut the sugar, some of the calories, make it healthy and still taste good. There was lots of banana, 3 cups so I doubled the recipe in my Cooks cookbook. 1 1/2 cups of sugar was cut to 1 cup, 4 cups of white flour was half whole wheat flour. 1 1/2 cups of butter was cut to 1 cup butter and 1/2 cup fat free yogert. I had four duck eggs and used them instead of store bought chicken eggs.

Supper was stuffed peppers using brown rice cooked in my own canned spaghetti sauce, stuffed into halved green peppers and baked in the oven for an hour. Yum. We eat good.

I wish I had another month of winter. Now, you don't hear that every day! Lot's of projects I didn't work on that I would have loved to. It's time to garden and the indoor projects are put away till next winter.

There are day neutral strawberry plants to put in the ground. Onion sets are purchased and the soil is waiting for them to be planted. Peas can go in the ground any time now as well as lettuce, chard, carrots and beets. The coldframe is empty and ready to plant cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts and tomatoes.
Countless outdoor projects to do, just have to figure out what order to do them.
There are several clematis to move to the trellis we moved last fall at the City Building. There is a beautiful hydrangia not getting enough sun in it's current location that I want to move here at the house.

Life is good.

Six duck hens are laying eggs all over the property. I do not want any clutches hatching out so I am going to have to keep an eye out and see where the nests are and raid them.

No comments:

Post a Comment