Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day Neutral Onions

Did you ever hear of such a thing as day neutral onions? Well I hadn't either but it makes sence. Most onion's growth is controled by the length of the day and when day length reaches a certain point the onions begin to quit growing and go dormant. I got my onions in the mail yesterday and will plant as soon as I can get back out in the garden. I am curious to see what these onions do. I presume they will keep growing untill I knock them over which will force them to prepare to go dormant.

I planted day neutral strawberries this year also . June bearing is what I have always grown except for a disappointing everbearing that were not big enough to mess with. The day neutral are everberring and big enough to put together a desert several times during the summer after the main crop in June.

My peas are up amd I hope there are seedlings of lettuce and other greens since we got all the rain.

Now that I am considered a Master Gardener, I am busy working to get my volunteer hours (50 this year) that are require to maintain the status. It is basically a program that teaches gardeners to help and teach other gardeners. We will be doing two composting programs in the next couple weeks. A hotline has been set up to answer questions from people about plants and related subjects.

I have been working to get sewing jobs done but have lots to do outside. It becomes a juggeling act!

No comments:

Post a Comment